The lawyers in Mayer Brown’s Equity & Incentive Plans (“EIP”) practice help both local and global employers in accomplishing their strategic goals and meeting the challenges in the war for talent by rendering comprehensive advice on the creation, implementation and operation of equity- and cash-based compensation and other incentive plans.
Our EIP practice advises on the full-range of employee incentive schemes and related issues including:
- Restricted stock and restricted stock unit plans or LTIPs
- Stock option plans
- Stock purchase plans
- Stock appreciation rights and phantom plans
- Equity-based incentive plans for companies backed by private equity firms
- Deferred cash bonus arrangements including Long Term Incentive Programs
- Investment fund arrangements (including carried interest structures)
Our EIP practice is a globally coordinated practice providing advice on the myriad laws and regulations that affect incentive plans in multiple jurisdictions including:
- Tax law (such as income and social security taxation, employee mobility issues, tax audits and litigation)
- Securities regulation (including European prospectus issues)
- Stock exchange rules
- Exchange control regulations
- Corporate governance and compliance rules and protocols
- Investor guidelines
- Company law
- Trust law
- Employment law
- Privacy and data protection laws
- Pensions finance
We perform multi-territory tax, regulatory and legal reviews for employers wishing to implement their plans globally. An important part of this service is providing assistance with the solicitation, coordination and review of advice from local counsel to deliver effective and commercially practical solutions that are tailored to the client. We also work with local counsel to draft territory-specific plan schedules to take advantage of tax-favored structures, where available, and/or to comply with local regulatory or legal requirements.
Mayer Brown is a truly global legal services provider. Mayer Brown has offices throughout the Americas, Asia, Europe and the Middle East. In Brazil we work with the lawyers at Tauil & Chequer Advogados. We have an established and reliable network of lawyers in jurisdictions where we do not have our own offices and with whom our EIP lawyers work successfully to provide globally comprehensive advice.
Further information about our capabilities in specific countries can be found here:
- United States
- Brazil, through lawyers at Tauil & Chequer Advogados working in association with Mayer Brown
The breadth of our equity and incentive plan experience across all major global business centers enables us to provide clients with practical, comprehensive solutions, whatever their circumstances.