The African continent provides a wealth of opportunities both to clients seeking to expand their operations and to new entrants to these countries. Our Africa group supports clients with an interest in African jurisdictions and has proven experience in addressing and resolving issues as they arise. We have a comprehensive track record in African common and civil law jurisdictions, complemented by unrivalled strength in capital markets and international trade, project finance, with particular strength in the following industries: mining, energy - oil and gas, infrastructure, agribusiness and heavy industry.
Our association with Tauil & Chequer Advogados (T&C), a Brazilian law firm with offices in Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo and Vitória, substantially increases the resources available to clients in relation to investments in Africa, notably Angola and Mozambique, where many of T&C’s clients are active.
We are able to support clients in all aspects of their projects and operations in Africa, offering:
- A dedicated, internationally qualified team with experience of working on a range of matters in Francophone, Anglophone, Lusophone and other jurisdictions;
- The firm’s fully integrated skills in key areas such as project finance, international arbitration, international banking, mining, oil and gas, telecoms, infrastructure, among others;
- Comprehensive experience in pre-privatization sector reviews and feasibility studies, together with Official Lender transactional and advisory experience;
- Tried and tested project management skills to ensure that both on-site and remote support on African projects is delivered effectively; and
- Close relations with local counsel throughout the continent.
Mayer Brown offers practical experience, technical skills and commercial knowledge of the African market and we understand the challenges and rewards that exist in African jurisdictions.