Our real estate finance practice has a well-established presence in the market. We have a long track record of having acted for both lenders and borrowers whether on bilateral or syndicated facilities on domestic and complex, multijurisdictional transactions. We maintain close relationships with, and act for, many of the lenders who are active in our domestic and cross-border markets. Our experience means we are familiar with the most innovative and structured of transactions, which often involve the use of offshore entities and tax structuring in jurisdictions including Jersey, Guernsey, the Isle of Man, Luxembourg, the Cayman Islands and the BVI.
We regularly represent individual lenders, syndicates and other market participants in all types of real estate finance transactions. As part of these deals we are often involved in structuring the relevant financing arrangements. Our practice covers origination of real estate finance transactions as well as the subsequent distribution (whether by way of syndication, securitization or otherwise).
We advise borrowers, lenders, lead managers, issuers and other market participants on domestic and cross-border real estate financings, refinancings and restructurings.
This includes advising on:
- International mortgage loan origination aimed at financing or refinancing the acquisition of individual real estate assets, portfolios of real estate assets and investment vehicles holding such assets
- Structured development finance across all asset classes (including hospitality and leisure, office and retail)
- A/B intercreditor structures, mezzanine and profit participation tranches and other multilayered financings secured over real estate assets
- Mortgage-backed securitizations (residential and commercial) and associated warehousing facilities
- Sale and leaseback arrangements, opco/propco structures and land tax saving scheme structures
- Distribution (by way of syndication, participation, securitization and otherwise) of secured debt transactions and acquisition (and associated vendor financing) of debt secured over real estate assets
- Consensual and contentious restructuring of debt vehicles and secured debt transactions
- Enforcement advice (strategic input and implementation) in relation to domestic and cross-border real estate portfolios
Mayer Brown's Real Estate Finance practice offers leading financial institutions practical experience, technical skills, commercial knowledge and an understanding of the challenges and rewards in the current market.