Mayer Brown’s REITs practice provides capital markets and securities and tax compliance advice to a wide range of companies engaged in the real estate industry, including public and private equity REITs, mortgage REITs, public and private partnerships, financial advisers, sponsors and intermediaries, pension funds, other domestic and international institutional investors, and underwriters and placement agents to REIT clients. Our clients own properties in all asset classes across the globe, including retail properties, multifamily residential properties, hotels and motels, health care facilities, as well as office and industrial and logistics properties.
We represent our clients in significant securities offerings, both registered and unregistered; corporate acquisitions; mergers and restructurings; large portfolio transactions; individual property acquisitions and dispositions; joint ventures; and development, financing and leasing activities. The diversity of our clients and our global presence provides us with a thorough understanding of the business objectives, issues and concerns of issuers and investors, institutions and entrepreneurs, underwriters, placement agents, buyers and sellers of real estate and borrowers and lenders around the world.
In addition, we represent mortgage REITs that acquire or invest in first mortgages, distressed property mortgages, mezzanine financings, credit risk transfer securities, mortgage-backed securities or a combination of equity real estate interests and loans secured by real property.
We make use of cross-disciplinary teams by working with our partners in Corporate, Real Estate, Finance, Tax, ERISA, Restructuring, Environmental and Litigation, among other practices, to provide "best practices" on all matters for our clients in the real estate industry.
As one of the largest law firms in the world, we also provide general corporate and securities advice to companies around the world, including many Fortune 500 and FTSE 250 issuers. We bring the same resources to bear for our real estate industry clients in connection with:
- The formation and organization of REITs, UPREITs and non-listed public REITs including roll-up transactions, spin-offs, formation of “downREIT partnerships” and conversions of existing corporations and partnerships into REITs
- The formation of institutional and other real estate private equity and debt funds and joint ventures
- Public and private M&A transactions, including tender and exchange offers
- Debt and preferred equity portfolio financings
- Portfolio acquisitions and dispositions, including contribution and OP unit transactions
- Innovative acquisition strategies through joint venture and other arrangements
- Initial public offerings
- Private and public debt offerings, common and preferred equity and convertible securities, including continuous offerings, at-the-market offerings and rights offerings
- Mortgage-backed securitizations
- Stock repurchase programs, including open market and negotiated repurchases
- Redemptions and forced conversions
- Capital and liability management of existing capital structures, including tender offers, exchange offers, buy-back programs, consent solicitations and negotiated redemptions and conversions
With extensive experience structuring, organizing and capitalizing REITs and other real estate platforms, our globally integrated team provides comprehensive, seamless advice on all types of transactions.